Sunday, February 9, 2014

My Ultimate Favourite Healthy Recipes

I love eating healthily. I'm always the first to volunteer to cook because I'm obsessed with getting messy and creative in the kitchen, with different fresh flavours and ingredients. For me, healthy eating has to be enjoyable to work and to stick in your daily routine. The food must be delicious, beautiful and above all, easy to make! Here are my top 3 healthy recipes.

Indian Spiced Chicken With Rice Salad
Made with only 6 ingredients (YES, SIX!!) this dish is easy, cheap and completely mouth watering. I love a good curry, and this is a great version of my favourite Indian dish.

You Will Need:
1/3 cup tandoori paste (Pataks is good!)
1/2 cup plain Greek-style yoghurt
650g chicken breast fillets
450g packet brown rice (You can use basmati if you prefer, but brown rice is superduper healthy and full of goodness!)
1 cucumber, diced

1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves 

These wonderful images are not mine. They are from the Taste website, where I found the original recipes. I have edited the recipes to fulfill other needs though!

Combine tandoori paste and 2 tablespoons of the yoghurt together in a bowl. Add chicken, then stir to coat. Cover the chicken and refrigerate for 2 hours to marinate, if you have time!
Chargrill on medium-high heat (You can use a barbecue if you prefer). Cook for around 4 mins, or until the chicken is cooked through. Cover the deliciousness with foil.
Meanwhile, cook rice in boiling water. Transfer to a bowl. Add cucumber and coriander to bowl. Stir them all together to create a fresh smelling mixture of yumminess.
Serve the chicken with rice salad and remaining yoghurt to calm down the spiciness.

Vegan barbecued corn with tomato and almond salad
I about died when I first saw this recipe. The colours and the textures completely enthralled me and the first time I cooked it I was hooked. Even though this is a vegan recipe (and don't get me wrong, I LOVE meat), nothing feels as if it is missing. The flavours are sweet and aromatic, and the meal is surprisingly filling. It is well known that vegan meals, which are mostly plant based are far far healthier for you. So, I like to swap around 5 meals per week for vegan meals to really pack a punch of vitamins, veggies and minerals to my intake.

You will need:
200g cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
1 Red Onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to brush
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
4 fresh corn cobs, husks removed
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/4 cup flaked almonds, toasted


Combine the tomato, onion, oil and red wine vinegar in a bowl, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Halve the corn cobs through the core, then cut each piece in two. absolutely drown the corn with olive oil (delicious), and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Cook the corn pieces with the kernels facing down on a heated chargrill pan or barbecue for 5 minutes until charred slightly, then turn and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the kernels are tender.
Meanwhile, add the basil leaves and toasted almonds to the tomato mixture, then toss to combine.
Serve the corn onto your plate, top with salad and devour immediately!

Tuna arrabbiata pasta gratin (Don't worry, I can't pronounce it either)
Pasta bakes are truly the meal of my childhood. So filling and versatile, I've got some of my fondest memories involving a creamy pasta bake. Pasta is starchy, yes, but I believe you should still eat it as long as you can be aware of what you put with it. This pasta bake recipe is ideal for us ladies and gentlemen watching our waistlines.

You Will Need:
1 tsp olive oil
1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
2 (or more, I am obsessed with garlic) garlic cloves, crushed
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
pinch caster sugar
250g wholemeal (wholemeal is optional) pasta shapes
2 x 200g cans tuna in spring water, drained and flaked
2 tbsp grated parmesan


Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the peppers for about 5 mins until starting to turn goldeny brown. Add the garlic, then cook for 30 secs, then tip in the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper if you fancy it, add a pinch of sugar, bring to the boil, then simmer on a low heat uncovered for 10 mins.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to pack instructions and heat up the oven. Drain the pasta and mix into the tomatoey garlicy peppery mixture, along with the tuna. Stir it well! Tip into a large ovenproof dish. Scatter parmesan over the top (and by scatter, I mean hurl tonnes of the stuff). Grill for 3-4 mins or until the cheese is golden. 

So there you have it! My top 3 picks for easy healthy meals. What I love about these meals is that they can be made with ingredients that are always knocking around your cupboards, save for a few. I hope you found inspiration from this post! Check out Taste.com's healthy recipes and vegan recipes. They have some gorgeous meals on there, and if the ingredients don't inspire you, the pictures definitely will! Drooool.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig