Tuesday, February 21, 2017

DIY BURRITO BOWLS



Ingredients:
Long grain rice (1 cup)
3 peppers – one red, one yellow, one green
One medium sized onion
One lime
One cup of sweetcorn (frozen or tinned!)
One tin of taco beans
Small tin of chopped tomatoes
Grated cheddar
Guacamole
Chipotle salsa
Olive oil

I added grilled chicken to my burrito bowl, but it works amazingly with just the veggies! I’ve been cutting back and back on my meat intake lately, but I had some leftover chicken that I didn’t want to waste. I simply grilled the chicken breast with lime juice and a bit of the chipotle salsa, salt and a teeny weeny bit of garlic.

I have accidentally transformed my beauty blog into a food blog. Ooops. However, I’m such a foodie and I could spend ages in the kitchen trying out new recipes. It’s suuuuch a love of mine, and I thought you might enjoy these DIY burrito bowls as much as I did.







I’ve been having a passionate love affair with Tortilla; a Mexican takeaway that do burritos, nachos and quesadillas. I’m a sucker for all things Mexican, and I recently wondered how much money I’d gone and spent whilst trying to quench my desire for burritos. The answer was a lot, and after watching them make my burritos time and time again, I was confident I could make my own version. I’d also been opting not to have the tortilla, and having ‘naked burritos’ instead, which is exactly the same, just served in a bowl. They’re super healthy and filling beyond words, so I definitely wanted to master the art of the naked burrito so I could have them at home.

They turned out amaaaazingly, and I’ve managed to get four meals out of this recipe. So that’s two for Chris and I now, and two for later! Here’s how I managed it:

Tomato rice:
-       boil one cup of rice with two cups of water
-       turn heat down and let the rice cook until all the water is absorbed
-       drain the rice and return it to the saucepan
-       add 3 or 4 tablespoons of chopped tomatoes and stir through on a very low heat until the rice has a light orangey colour to it and hot

Sweetcorn:
-       drain the sweetcorn from the tin and place in a bowl
-       add 3 or 4 tablespoons of chopped tomatoes and stir through
-       add a shake of mixed herbs and black pepper and stir
-       place in a saucepan and cook on medium heat while stirring for about 5 minutes

Mixed peppers:
-       slice the peppers and the onion (I like to leave my onion in quite big chunks so they don’t go too soggy!)
-       drizzle olive oil in a frying pan and turn the heat to medium
-       when the pan is hot, throw in all the sliced pepper and onion
-       stir-fry until slightly soft (or more if you prefer! I love crunchy vegetables so I take mine off the heat quite quickly, but you can fry them for longer if desired.)

Taco beans:
-       literally the easiest thing in the world: empty the tin and heat in a saucepan for about 10 minutes on a medium to low heat

Layer the rice in the bowl first, then top with the taco beans. Then I added the pepper and onion and popped the sweetcorn on next. I then layered on my chopped up chicken breast and added a dollop of guacamole and a sprinkle of grated low-fat cheddar. The result was Instagram worthy, if you ask me!

I’m not 100% sure on the calorie content of these burrito bowls, but I know that they’re full of goodness and are so so so so filling. A quick google tells me that there’s around 550 calories in a naked burrito from my beloved Tortilla, but these homemade ones are surely better because I know exactly what I’ve put in them and some of the ingredients have been tweaked slightly.

I’m determined to get my bikini body ready for the summer, so you can probably look out for more healthy recipes in the future. Do let me know if you tried out this recipe!

Lots of love,



SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This looks delicious! I like how you can easily make it into a boxed lunch too x

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig